The Seed: A Living Beer Project
807 Baltic Ave, #4
Atlantic City, NJ 08401
Review Date: 5/1/2021
Reviewed by: Pretzel
The Stoutmeister and I had spent the day in Atlantic City, and on our way out of town we decided to check out The Seed brewery. Well, we actually decided that we would stop in if they had parking available, because as you probably know parking in Atlantic city can run $10 to $20 bucks a pop. So, we were surprised to find a nice free parking lot attached to the building housing The Seed brewery and Westecunk Axe throwing. Now there’s a grand combination – beer and axe throwing. I do suggest if you want to try both in the same day, start with the axe throwing. It’s a lot safer that way I’m sure.
The brewery is only open Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. With social distancing and limited seating, we were fortunate to find a table open. There currently is no outside seating areas, but Sean the owner assures me that with warmer weather coming, it’s in the works. The inside is warm and welcoming, patrons and staff very friendly, and the back portion of the room houses the brewing room. We requested and were granted a tour from the owner Sean, but more on that later.
Alli, our very personable beertender, showed us to our table, provided beer menus, and told us she would be back to take our order. I gotta say, she was very informative, friendly, and prompt in filling our order. There were no flights, but we could order individual 4 oz tasters of each beer. We informed Alli we wanted a taster of everything on tap so that we could fully appreciate and evaluate their selection of fine brews. (ok, you always hear about fine wines, so I’m extending that to fine brews). Alli hooked us up. She brought us 4 tasters to start, and whenever one of our glasses was empty, she would bring the next brew in our lineup without being reminded or asked. Truly great customer service! Their focus is the saison and farmhouse style beers. It was difficult for The Stoutmeister and I to pick a favorite beer, because they were all fabulous! We both finally ended up with 3 favorites each. And I’m shocked that we both had the Kellerpils on our top beer list, as neither one of us tend to like pilsners that much. We usually find them watered-down and kind of tasteless. This Kellerpils is totally the opposite. Flavorful, smooth, with a light haze. It’s definitely making my top 10 list for the year. It’s no surprise the The Seed: A Living Beer Project was recognized by USA Today as the Best New Brewery for 2021. Not bad!
So back to the tour. During this pandemic, a lot of breweries do not offer live tours (totally understandable). But we asked, and were pleasantly surprised when Sean (the co-owner along with his wife Amanda) granted our request. Sean was a gracious host, showed us the brewing room, discussed their equipment, and their brewing philosophy. Below is a short clip from our tour.
Thank you The Seed for a delightful Saturday afternoon. We hope to be back soon with the rest of The Beer Posse. And a special shoutout to Sean, Amanda, and Alli! Thanks for your hospitality! We can’t wait to see what’s next for The Seed.
Beers on Tap:
- Can it be so simple? – Pale Lager (ABV: 5.4%)
- As simple as youth? – Kellerpils (ABV: 5.6%)
- these are for you – Blonde Brett Bier (ABV: 6.4%)
- poetry in motion – Biere de Coupage (ABV: 5.7%)
- unhurriedly – English Pub Ale (ABV: 4.5%)
- stay awhile – English Dark Mild (ABV: 4.2%)
- meadows green – IPA *ABV: 6.2%)
- cascades – West Coast IPA (ABV: 6.5%)
Favorite Beers of the Day:
- Pretzel – poetry in motion, as simple as youth, unhurriedly
- The Stoutmeister – as simple as youth, unhurriedly, stay awhile
Additional Posse Comments:
- The Stoutmeister – Not a single beer had an unpleasant aftertaste.
- The Stoutmeister – It is difficult to find a favorite beer in this joint. Everything tastes so good! Even the IPA’s.
- Pretzel – hard to identify a favorite beer, they are all so delectable! I had to pick 3 as my favorite!
- The Seed – http://theseedbeer.com/
- The Seed Facebook page – https://www.facebook.com/TheSeedBeer/
- USA Today Best New Brewery List – https://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-new-brewery-2021/
- Westecunk Axe Throwing – https://westecunkaxe.com/
Final Scorecard (click to open): The Seed
Overall Pretzel Score (8.63 out of 10):