Address: Total Turf Experience 614 Lambs Road Pitman, NJ 08071
Date: August 13, 2022
Reported by: Pretzel
Attendees: Pretzel, The Stoutmeister, B3, Princess, The Mole Slayer, Queen of Funk
Once again, the Beer Posse had a great time at Swelter Fest! There are many aspects of this particular beerfest that I greatly appreciate. These include:
- Event advertising and planning is spot on. Adam Mazzola, the event organizer visited most if not all of the breweries prior to the event, and posted a video from each one enticing people to buy tickets for the beerfest. He was also up front greeting all the event patrons coming in the door. It’s always good to see his smiling face! But as we know, it takes a team to put on a beerfest, so congrats to all the team members and volunteers for a successful event!
- Swelter Fest provided information that allows you to stake out your game plan. A few days before the event, a map of the facility with all the vendor and brewery locations mapped out. There was also a comprehensive list of VIP and General Admission beers. Since you only had 1 hour for VIP and had to vote for the best within that time, this was crucial in my planning for the beers I definitely wanted to taste and consider for my crucial vote!
- Swelter Fest concentrates solely on NJ Breweries and cideries. Our blog’s primary focus is South Jersey breweries, brew pubs, and beerfests, yet I still appreciate trying out the offerings from our neighbors to the North (North Jersey that is, as I consider them a totally different state).
- VIP attendees get to vote for the best beers of the festival. Many breweries offer special edition brews for the VIP session. Voting this year was done via your cell phone and a QR code on display at each booth.
- Swelter Fest offers the cheapest Designated Driver tickets at $5. This year, DD’s also received a very nice swag bag that included a nice insulated bag, a cutting mat, an avocado cutter, a usb drive, and several other items. We love our DD’s, because they allow us to fulfill our beer hobby without worry!
- The location is my favorite of all the beerfests I’ve been to. It is held both inside and outside at Total Turf. So if it’s raining or too hot, you can take a break inside and also continue trying delectable libations. Since I had a knee replacement this year, the venue was compact enough that my leg wasn’t in agony by the end of the day due to all the walking as is prevalent with other beerfests.
- Plenty of bathrooms! There were facilities both inside and outside, so you didn’t have to walk a mile only to stand in a huge line to use the port-a-potty. It is quite nice to have inside permanent bathrooms available.
The band was playing great tunes, and B3, Queen of Funk, and I decided to try our hand at the axe throwing. I gotta say, I was awesome! I should consider going pro! Is there anything like a professional axe throwing league? Hmmm, I’ll have to google it!
I know, impressive, huh? See y’all next year!
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/swelterbeer
Comments from The Mole Slayer:
Enjoyed the atmosphere and company as always. The weather was perfect, but it felt like there weren’t as many brewer’s as last year. I also learned not to get too focused on the VIP examples, sours and Seltzers are not what I would go for (bad ones at least). Cross Keys Brewing had my favorite a triple IPA that was mildly hoppy without a harsh lingering finish. Axe and Arrow surprised me with Axe Tea Raspberry While too sweet for me it hits it the mark for it name. Also, Lower Forge’s Piney Punch was something that would work as a light summer choice. I have to remember to ask how big the sandwich is. That Cuban, while good, was too much.
Looking forward to the next one.
Favorite Beers of the Day:
- Pretzel –
- Three 3’s – Barrel Aged Blue Devil Farmhouse Ale – Saison (ABV: 6%)
- 13th Child – Blues At Sunset American Pale Wheat (ABV: 6%)
- Jersey Cyclone – King Tide Imperial Stout (ABV: 13.1%)
- The Stoutmeister – 13th Child – Blues At Sunset American Pale Wheat (ABV: 6%)
- B3 –
- Cross Keys – The Journey Belgian Blonde (ABV: 5.1%)
- Zed’s – Blueberry Blonde (ABV: 5%)
- Queen of Funk – Swedesboro Brewing Brewers Select 5 Fruit Beer (ABV: 5.8%)
- The Mole Slayer – Cross Keys Triple IPA (ABV: 5.1%)