830 N. Bay Avenue Beach Haven, NJ 08008
Review Date: 5/19/19
Reported by: Pretzel
It’s been a little while since I’ve posted. The Stoutmeister and I have been obsessed with completing our Beer Passport from The Atlantic City Beer and Music Festival. So we decided it was time to get back to business and review Ship Bottom. B3 and Princess joined us for a Sunday afternoon road trip to Long Beach Island. I’d like to point out that The Stoutmeister and I had been there the previous day as part of our passport run, so we were well prepared.
As you make your way up the stairs to the brewery, you immediately find yourself in their merchandise nook. I gotta say, they have the best assortment of T-shirts of any brewery I’ve been to so far. Most are based off of their beer can designs, and those that have been sold out are labeled with a “Kicked” sign. Nice touch! So we proceeded to the tasting room, and scoped out a suitable table. They have high-tops, picnic tables, as well as bar seating. The first thing you notice in this room is the far wall which is stacked with pallets of their canned brews. Ship Bottom has their own canning system, and provides beer for many local liquor stores, bars, pubs, and restaurants throughout the state. This month, they opened up a Beer Garden in cooperation with Linvilla Orchards in Media, Pennsylvania. I have not yet visited this beer garden, but I will be sure to add it to my calendar in the near future.
We wanted to visit Ship Bottom before Memorial Day to try to beat the shoobie traffic (or bennies for those of you from North Jersey). Parking was on-street, and we managed to wrangle a spot nearby. However, I fear it might be near impossible to find an equivalent spot in the height of the summer season, and you may end up walking a few blocks or miles. I did not notice any sizable parking lots, but I have not been to LBI (Long Beach Island) before and I am therefore unfamiliar with the area.
But back to the brewery … Princess and I organized our table for games, snacks, review paperwork, etc; while the B3 and the Stoutmeister proceeded to the bar to get us some flights. The way the Beer Posse works, is we get enough flights to cover all the available beers on tap, and then share the tasting. Then we can intelligently choose our favorite for a possible pint afterward. The previous day, the Stoutmeister and I, along with the Queen of Funk who was visiting from Virginia were able to sample the Hefeweizen Light which we loved! Loved! Loved! It is a Beach Patrol Hefeweizen Ale base infused with Banana, Bacon, and Peanut Butter. I wasn’t too keep on the bacon aspect, but who doesn’t love Peanut Butter and banana’s? Well the bacon was very subtle, and the Peanut Butter and bananas gave it a nice smooth taste. The next day when we visited with B3 and Princess, it was no longer on tap!!! WAAAAAAHHH!
So we proceeded to taste all the offerings, though I was disappointed that Bikini Bottom Blueberry Wheat Ale was not on tap. But I was told, we could buy some at the local liquor store. I had the pleasure of trying their Blueberry Ale last summer at several beer festivals – Wildwood Beer Fest and Summer Swelter Fest, and it was my favorite festival beer! We did not stop on our way home for the Bikini Bottom only because our beer fridge is completely full! That comes from all our beer passport runs in the past 2 month (38 out of 57 breweries so far!). We need a Beer Posse get-together so we can clear out the fridge! Hopefully we’ll go through a lot of our inventory over Memorial Day Weekend.
As we started to play Mexican dominoes, Shawnee and Dawn from the next table tried to work their way into the game. They wanted to play the winners, but I told them there was a $100 buy in, and they rethought their request. See I get too greedy. I wonder if I could have gotten $20 out of them. Oh well, it was fun chatting with them.
Later B3, The Stoutmeister, and I took a brewery tour with Amanda. It was informative, but somewhat rushed as it was only Amanda’s second hosting of a tour. She did great, and was able to answer any questions we posed. We did ask about the Hefeweizen Light, which we had tasted the previous day and was no longer on tap. She told us they only made a firkin (a small cask) and it went flat. She gave us a sample of what was left, and yes indeed it was not up to snuff. It might be off, but I love it when brewers are willing to let us sample their mistakes or bad batches. It shows that they pay particular attention to the quality of their wares, while learning from these mistakes to ensure better product in the future.
All-in-all it was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Good friends, Good Beer, Friendly clientele and staff, and nice weather! Perfect setting in a beach town. See you again Ship Bottom! And please make more Hefeweizen Light!
Beers on Tap:
- NYE Barleywine – Barleywine (ABV: 11%)
- The Local Stout – Coffee Stout (ABV: 5.5%)
- Surf Czech Pilsner – Pilsner (ABV: 5%
- One Love IPA Series – New England IPA (ABV: 4.8%)
- One Love Series Ella – Australian IPA (ABV: 6.8%)
- Mexican Stout – stout (ABV: 9%)
- The Shack IPA – American IPA (ABV: 6%)
- Beach Patrol Hefeweizen – Hefeweizen (ABV: 5.2%)
- Hop & Hazy – New England IPA (ABV: 6.5%)
- Hefeweizen Light – Beach Patrol Hefeweizen Ale with Banana, Bacon, and Peanut Butter (ABV: 5.4%)
Favorite Beers of the Day:
- Pretzel – Hefeweizen Light with Peanut Butter, Banana, and Bacon! YUM! Bummer, no takeout!
- B3 – Beach Patrol Hefeweizen
- The Stoutmeister – Hefeweizen Light with Peanut Butter, Banana, and Bacon. They need to make more of this delectable beer!
- Princess – I’m the DD (Designated Driver), you know I don’t imbibe!
Additional Posse Comments:
- B3 – I like the board showing what’s brewing in the 6 or 7 brew tanks.
- B3 – T-shirts for most brews, although many were sold out (kicked!). Nice idea making shirts out of beer designs.
- B3 – Good integration with Ontappd for beer list.
- The Stoutmeister – 7 types of beer available, but too many IPA’s. And how about some Belgian, Scottish or English ales?
- The Stoutmeister – Please make more Hefeweizen Light!
- Princess – On street parking, could be really crowded in the summer
- Princess – The patrons left the restroom disgusting!
- Princess – They have WiFi you can connect to. Nice!
- Pretzel – I love the cute surf board flight trays.
Overall Pretzel Score (7.75 out of 10):
Final Scorecard (click to open): ShipBottomBrewingCo