Oyster Creek Brewing Company 529 U.S. 9, #5 Waretown, NJ 08758
Review Date: 9/8/19
Reported by: Pretzel
Hi fellow beer-lovers! The Beer Posse headed up to Waretown in Ocean County to check out Oyster Creek Brewing Company. Their overall theme pays homage to the now decommissioned Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating Station. Princess expressed some concern and wanted to know where they got their water for the beer. However, once she realized that she was not drinking the local beer, she seemed much less concerned and interested. Oyster Creeks decor pays homage to this nuclear theme, with their logo and wall mural depicting the generating station. The table tops show a map of the local Oyster Creek area.
Overall, the tasting room and brewing room are very small, but they do a great job of maximizing their space. There are tables, high-tops, and counter seating available. Even with a small 2 BBL brewing system, they manage to have 16 delicious beers on tap! That’s right, you heard me – 16 beers on tap. Not bad for a nano-brewery! Chris the owner gave us a very in-depth and informative tour. He, as many of our local brewers, started off as a home-brewer, and took it one step further to opening up his own brewery. He does it all – owner, brewer, beertender (which is the equivalent to a bartender but sounds more apropos).
B3, The Stoutmeister, and I procured enough flights to share so that we could taste everything on-tap (that’s right 16 on-tap!). There was a very good variety available – IPA’s, Stout, Sours, Dubbel, Hefeweizen, Porter, and Ales. Something for everybody! The ABV’s also had a wide range from 4.6% to 10%. I’m serious, there is something for everyone (except non-drinkers and children of course).
B3 commented that the single bathroom was clean and well kept, but it didn’t have any urinals. OK, so speaking from a woman’s point of view, why do you need urinals in public bathroom any way? You don’t have them at home, so I think you could adapt! Well maybe some people have them at home, I don’t know. Some people have bidets, and I’m not sure what that’s all about either. However, maybe is every place had a urinal the men wouldn’t leave the seat up and cause much consternation for us females.
The Stoutmeister pointed out to me that there was an Emmy award on display above the bar. I’m thinking it was some kind of fake award, but no! It was a real freaking Emmy award (given for excellence in television programming). I asked Chris about it, and I video’d his response (see below). I did get my picture with it, and it’s actually very heavy. I thought about slipping it into my backpack, but there were too many people with eyes on the bar area.
Gotta say, we had a delightful afternoon at Oyster Creek Brewing Company and came home with a couple growlers of great beer. Thanks for your hospitality Chris, hope to see you again soon!
Beers on Tap:
- YELLOWcake Cream Ale (ABV: 4.6%, IBU: 33)
- CRITICAL Mass NEIPA (ABV: 7.8%, IBU: 90)
- Plutonium 94 Black IPA (ABV: 10%, IBU: 83)
- MELTdown Habanero DIPA (ABV: 8.2%, IBU: 86)
- COLDfusion Coffee Milk Stout (ABV: 5.8%, IBU: 26)
- SINGULARITY Sour Ale (ABV: 6.1%, IBU: 51)
- PB&J Ale (ABV: 7.2%, IBU: 35)
- Tihange Belgian Dubbel (ABV: 9.5%, IBU: 19)
- 2Minutes 2Midnite DDH DIPA (ABV: 8.2%, IBU: 95)
- HALFlife Hefeweizen Blueberry (ABV: 5.6%, IBU: 16)
- DARKmatter Vanilla Porter (ABV: 6.6%, IBU: 38)
- BETAparticle Blood Orange Wheat Ale (ABV: 5.5%, IBU: 20)
- NAUT-but-Nice Mango Milkshake NEIPA (ABV: 7.6%, IBU: 69)
- COLLISIONcascade IPA (ABV: 7.8%, IBU: 56)
- HEAVYwater Irish Ale (ABV: 7.5%, IBU: 49)
- Fallout Pumpkin Ale (ABV: 9%, IBU: 49)
Favorite Beers of the Day:
- Pretzel – PB&J Ale
- The Stoutmeister – PB&J Ale
- B3 – HALFlife Hefeweizen Blueberry
Additional Posse Comments:
- Princess – Clever logo, but a little creepy too. I can’t imagine being excited to drink beer in the shadow of a nuclear power plant. I mean, where did they get the water from? ;D
- The Stoutmeister – The brewery is very small, it can get pretty tight in there on busy evenings.
- The Stoutmeister – It is amazing how much beer they can produce in such a small facility.
- B3 – The map table tops were a nice addition!
- B3 – Chris (owner/brewer) was very informative and friendly!
- B3 – Excellent beer fest participation for such a small operation.
- Oyster Creek Brewing Co. – https://www.oystercreekbrewing.com/
Overall Pretzel Score (8.46 out of 10):
Final Scorecard (click to open): OysterCreek