Iron Hill Brewery 124 East Kings Hwy (Route 41) Maple Shade, NJ 08052
It was a dark and stormy night (ok, that was plagiarized), and The Beer Posse found themselves heading to Maple Shade to check out Iron Hill Brewery, a brewpub chain. We had to take 2 cars since Princess traded in her soccer Mom minivan for something a little more modern. Thankfully, our trusty DD’s Princess and Nanny Franny were available to ensure we all made it home safely. They are the best!
It’s a casual, family oriented establishment with separate dining areas and bar. Some members of the Posse felt with the high ceilings and echoing sounds that it was a little noisy (although I’m not sure if that was because of the other patrons, or our own group as I didn’t seem to notice). The menu was extensive and covered pizza, burgers, sandwiches as well as steaks, seafood, and salads. We got the calamari and nacho appetizers which got high marks all around. There was a great special of 2 pizza’s and a growler for $25, but alas it was takeout only (still a great deal). I heard no complaints about dinner, and my seafood pot pie was awesome!
Iron Hill has an impressive number of beers on tap that are brewed on their premises. We counted 16, and of course we had to try everyone. Just as a suggestion… When there are a lot of beers to try, the Stoutmeister and I get flights of different offerings and then share. That way we get to taste more brews. We aim for quality, not quantity. Although there were a lot of beer, all of us only picked out 1 or 2 that we thought were really stellar. The overall favorites were the Witberry and the Peppermint Bark. The Rabbit and The Stoutmeister kept insisting that I try the Peppermint Bark, but they were just being evil as they know I have an aversion to any kind of mint. As many of my close friends know, “Ever since an unfortunate incident in college with Peppermint Schnapps, I do not like the taste of mint!” But the Peppermint Bark was a favorite of The Posse, so I will give it due recognition.
The waitress was very accommodating, providing separate checks and arranging a brewery tour with the manager upon request. It was a very busy night, but Matt the manager was able to squeeze in a tour. The Rabbit, The Stoutmeister, and I elected to take the tour, while the others stayed at the table chatting and probably talking behind our backs! The tour was very informative, and I can’t believe how compact and efficient their brewery space is. Matt walked us through the whole process, was personable, answered all our questions, and presented us with a bottle of the Iron Hill Dubble Danke to take home. Thanks Matt!
Overall, we had a great time, although I would not suggest you try all 16 beers at one sitting unless you are sharing!
Favorite Beers of the Day:
- Pretzel – Witberry, Space is the Place Belgian IPA
- The Stoutmeister – Peppermint Bark, Witberry
- The Wrangler – Witberry
- The Rabbit – Peppermint Bark
Additional Posse Comments:
- Princess (DD) – “Dinner was great, the company was even better.”
- The Rabbit – “Nitro brews make intolerable beers tolerable”
- The Stoutmeister – “I like the fact that different brews tasted different, but I was not impressed by the taste – they all tasted too strong of an after taste. But due to the wide variety of selection, I was able to find 2 that I liked.”
- B3 – “Nice takeout pizza deal – 2 pizza’s + growler for $25!”
- The Wrangler – “The beer variety seemed to have a little of everything”
- Nanny Franny (DD) – “Pretzel and The Rabbit should not be allowed to sit next to each other!”
- Nanny Franny (DD) – “I have dubbed B3 and The Wrangler the ‘Crusty Critics’ as their scores are all much lower than mine.”
Overall Pretzel Score (8.67 out of 10):
Final Scorecard: IronHillBrewery