Devil’s Creek Brewery
1 Powell Lane
Collingswood, NJ 08108
Review date: 1/8/2017
The Beer Posse headed up Route 130 to Collingswood to check out Devil’s Creek Brewery. It’s a small establishment, with a nice bar area, decent seating, and 1 unisex bathroom. Just a suggestion, consider putting in a second bathroom or stall. After all, if someone imbibes a little too much, they might end up monopolizing the bathroom for a prolonged period of time. Princess said the bathroom was very clean, but that someone had left the seat up. I have a strong suspicion that The Stoutmeister might have been the culprit since he used the facilities right before her, and he has this nasty habit at home. But I was not about to throw him under the bus with Princess. She can be a little bit scary at times. One wall is all reclaimed wood with a custom metal Jersey Devil Logo on display. I love the logo/mascot, especially ties to the Jersey Devil legend of South Jersey.
Taste expectations were very high for Devil’s Creek since I had ranked them twice as my favorite beer of the day at 2 previous beer festivals. These included Brown Sugar 69 at the 2016 Battleship New Jersey Beerfest and the Caramel Apple Brown Ale at the recent 2017 Atlantic City Beer and Music Fest 2017. The Beer Posse was not disappointed! With 12 wide varieties of beer on tap, we were forced (ok, not forced, but very willing!!!) to try everyone available. We definitely had our favorites, but not a single offering was disliked. And on another note, each of the Beer Posse in attendance, took home a growler of their favorite brew. This was a landmark event for us!
The virtual tour was informative, but I always like to get a personal tour of the facilities to check out the equipment and get a chance to talk to the brewers. Gilles was our tour guide through the facilities. It’s not a large brewing room, and there was a lot of equipment laying about as Gilles is also the resident handyman, and had several projects and improvements in progress. The keg room was quite interesting with the 12 bar taps in the front room connected directly to kegs stored in the keg room. All left over grain is given to a local farmer for pig food, so everything in the brewing process is used. Gilles also assured me that Brown Sugar 69 will be making a comeback in the near future! So I’m thinking another road trip to Devil’s Creek will be forthcoming!
One other aspect that has to be mentioned is Devil’s Creek location in downtown Collingswood. Collingswood is one of the few South Jersey towns that has been able to sustain a thriving downtown business district that includes a plethora of restaurant choices – Italian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, etc; candy and popcorn shops; vintage, antique, and record shops; a toy store, and many others. It was a cool Saturday evening, as we walked downtown and enjoyed several street musicians. Although I believe Devil’s Creek would be successful in any locale, it is nice to have other options to enjoy the day after a pleasant beer tasting experience.
Well done Devil’s Creek! The Beer Posse will be back!
Beers on Tap:
- 1888 Old Ale – 6.3% ABV, 27 IBU, 17 SRM
- Caramel Apple Brown Ale – 5.4% ABV, 20 IBU, 30 SRM
- Toasted Rye, 5.6% ABV, 14 IBU, 18 SRM
- Oatmeal Stout – 5.6% ABV, 25 IBU, 39 SRM
- RetrIBUtion Elgian IPA – 8.9% ABV, 62 IBU, 9 SRM
- EZPZ Ashburne Milde, 3.8% ABV, 18 IBU, 18 SRM
- Chocolate Milk, Milk Stout – 5.9% ABV, 21 IBU, 40 SRM
- Cordially Yours Cherry Stout, 5.9% ABV, 21 IBU, 40 SRM
- Black EYE, Black IPA – 6.4% ABV, 70 IBU, 31 SRM
- Dullahan Red, Irish Red – 4.9% ABV, 13 IBU, 20 SRM
- Equinox Pale Ale – 6.0% ABV, 45 IBU, 7 SRM
- Nessie, Wee Heavy – 8.4% ABV, 23 IBU, 18 SRM
Favorite Beers of the Day:
- Pretzel – Caramel Apple Brown (YUMMY!) and RetrIBUtion
- B3 – EZPZ for summer, Nessie for colder weather
- The Stoutmeister – Caramel Apple Brown and Nessie
Additional Posse Comments:
- The Stoutmeister – Very seldom do I find a brewery like this where I would choose 2 brews to take home. I am usually happy to bring home just one favorite. Had to take home a growler of Caramel Apple Brown and Nessie!
- Princess – Nice place, good atmosphere. Nothing to entertain DD’s (Designated Drivers) though.
- B3 – Coolest growlers I’ve ever seen! Gold logo on dark glass!
- Princess – One unisex bathroom, very clean, but probably not enough for a beer drinking crowd
Websites and Links:
- http://devilscreekbrewery.com/ Devil’s Creek Brewery web page
- https://www.facebook.com/DevilsCreekBrewery/?hc_ref=SEARCH&fref=nf Devil’s Creek on Facebook
Overall Pretzel Score ( 8.68 out of 10):
Final Scorecard (click to open): DevilsCreek