‘Bout The Hops
2000 Crawford Place, #400
Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054
Review Date: 5/25/2021
Reported by: Pretzel
Reviewers: Pretzel, The Stoutmeister, The Queen of Funk
So the Queen of Funk, The Stoutmeister, and I were bored on Tuesday afternoon, so we decided to head up to Bout the Hops Brewing in Mt. Laurel. We had visited them once before when they first opened in 2019, shortly before the COVID-19 pandemic threw a monkey wrench into everyone’s lives. We remembered it fondly having discussed Germany’s Oktoberfest which we were planning to attend that fall with the owner and another patron. Well needless to say, those plans were scrapped with the worldwide shutdown. Oktoberfest got canceled, and it got canceled again for this year. I’m gonna be 90 before I get to Oktoberfest! But I digress. We’re talking about Bout the Hops now.
Check out the 360° view of the taproom in the video above. Bout the Hops is located in an industrial/professional building in Mt. Laurel. It’s a good thing they planted a bunch of “new brewery” signs around pointing in the right direction, or you could miss it. The taproom is very welcoming and friendly. Meredith, the beertender, was very attentive, helpful and friendly, helping us navigate their beer selection and flight ordering process. What I particularly found enticing is that you have your choice of 2 flights – 1 with 4 samples, and 1 with 6 samples. It’s nice to have that option depending on how thirsty or adventurous you are. To order a flight, you pick up a 4 or 6 sample flight tray, and using a chalk pen, indicate the numbers of the samples you prefer from their menu; hand in your flight tray, and wait for Meredith to provide the requested brews. 15 brews were on tap that evening with a wide variety of styles including various IPA’s, Hefeweizen, Quads, Trippels, Stouts, and even a Hard Seltzer (which is a strong pass for me). But there is something for everybody!
They have a very nice selection of merchandise, and I opted to buy 2 tee-shirts. One for me to wear, and one for the NJ brewery tee shirt quilt I’m planning to make in the near future. I only need 5 more tees and I can start sewing. Woo Hoo! They also had a selection of glassware, magnets, stickers, and hats. I really like their logo, shown on a nice wall mural near the bar.
We were able to have a nice discussion with Meredith the beertender, since it was early Tuesday evening, and not many patrons were in the house yet. Plus we were able to actually sit at the bar! NICE – bye-bye COVID! I asked Meredith what their biggest challenge was dealing with the pandemic. I was surprised and a little dismayed at her answer. First, I was expecting the usual challenges to be mentioned – social distancing, air flow, online ordering, outside seating, etc. But no, she said the biggest challenge was managing the patrons. Those not wanting to wear masks, large groups not social distancing, wearing masks to the bathroom, and the general COVID-haters (not that anyone likes COVID, but many people take it personally). I’m glad we are almost done with all the regulations, but come on people! Behave yourselves, work with these small businesses that are trying to stay afloat during stressful times so that they can continue to serve us great craft beer.
So after a few flights, we headed on home with the promise to visit Bout the Hops Brewing again in the future. Thanks Bout the Hops and Meredith for your hospitality and great libations. I can’t wait to see what you brew up next!
Beers on Tap:
- HopNado2 – SDH Imperial IPA (ABV: 8.3%, IBU: 128)
- Hoptimus Prime – DDH Hazy NE IPA (ABV: 7.0%, IBU: 83)
- FeQu 2 – DDH Hazy NE IPA (APV: 7/0%, IBU: 42)
- Hop Thugs-N-Harmony – SDH West Coast IPA (ABV: 6.4%, IBU: 56)
- Time Continuum Disfunctioner – Session IPA (ABV: 4.9%, IBU 88)
- TuHop Shakur – SDH IPA (ABV: 6.8%, IBU: 95)
- Sour Power Hour – IPA Sour (dry hopped) (ABV: 4.9%, IBU: 88)
- El Jefe Jalapeno – Hefeweizen (ABV: 5.2%, IBU: 18)
- It’s a Trap – Trappist Quadrupel (ABV: 10.1%, IBU: 26)
- Cannatonic – Hemp IPA (ABV: 7.1%, IBU: 83)
- Drunkel – Dunkelweizen (ABV: 4.9%, IBU 16)
- Brew Materials: Peach Apricot Hard Seltzer (ABV: 5.3%)
- Harry Stouter CO2 Stout (ABV: 6.5%, IBU: 40)
- Harry Stouter Nitro Stout (ABV: 6.5%, IBU: 40)
- Pinkies Out Brah Nitro Stout (ABV: 6.5%, IBU: 40)
Favorite Beers of the Day:
- Pretzel – El Jefe Jalapeno Hefeweizen, It’s a Trap Trappist Quadrupel
- The Queen of Funk – TuHop Shakur SDH IPA
- The Stoutmeister – Pinkies Out Brah Nitro Stout, El Jefe Jalapeno Hefeweizen
Additional Posse Comments:
- The Stoutmeister – I like it when brewers come up with out-of-the-ordinary beer flavors …that is what craft beer is all about.
- The Queen of Funk – Great system, especially for ordering flights.
- The Queen of Funk – Pretzel loved the t-shirt design and bought 2, one in grey and one in blue.
- ‘Bout the Hops – http://www.boutthehops.com/
- ‘Bout the Hops on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/BTHBrewing
Final Scorecard (click to open): BoutTheHops
Overall Pretzel Score (8.87 out of 10):