1790 Swarthmore Ave, #2 Lakewood, NJ 08701
Review Date: 5/6/18
Reported by: Pretzel
So, as The Stoutmeister headed up to North Jersey for various errands (meeting with our financial adviser, and cheering on some of the Stoutmeisters chess students at a chess tournament, we decided to make it an overall beer weekend, and try to get as many stamps on our AC Beerfest beer passport as possible. If you’re wondering what the AC beerfest passport is all about, check out my page that includes an explanation and map. http://pretzelsbeerblog.com/2018-ac-beerfest-passport/
We also decided to kill 2 birds with one stone and review Icarus Brewing in Lakewood as we started our trek home. It’s tucked away in an industrial area, and had a good crowd for a Sunday afternoon. There are 2 bars, one in the main taproom, and another back near all the brewing equipment. There was a nice variety of beer types available with ABV’s ranging from 3 to 9%. Each flight came with a free soda pour that was brewed onsite. Very nice touch. The Stoutmeister and I got our passports stamped, ordered a flight each and retired to the brewing room where I managed to snag us a table, and began our review and evaluation.
We seemed to attract the attention of a friendly and rowdy group at the table next to ours. After giving them the low down on Pretzel’s Beer Blog and the AC Beerfest passport, we shared our signature Beer Goggle Sunglasses with the group and posed for some photo ops. Then David (hence forth known as Foo Fighter Dave), harangued the room on how the Foo Fighters are the greatest rock band of all time. I myself kind of favor The Beatles or Queen, but hey everyone is entitled to their own opinions however wrong they may be. Meanwhile, Jamie starts to sing. And I must say, she had a lovely voice. Perhaps Icarus should start up a karaoke night. After some bonding and good conversation, the Stoutmeister and I retired back to our table to continue sampling our flights. The Stoutmeister looks into one of his glasses, grimaces, and states “there’s a fly in my beer!” I always thought you found a fly in your soup, not your beer. So he was not inclined (nor was I) to partake in this insect-infused draft. But our new friend Laurin at the next table bravely says “It’s only protein, give it to me, I’ll drink it.” Wow, I was impressed and excited to see someone actually drink a fly. So I placed the glass in front of Laurin, who looks into the glass, and says “Oh, it’s a big one! I thought you were talking about a little gnat.” To which I responded “If it was a gnat, I would have said it was a gnat. But I said it was a fly.” Ok, no one drinking a fly today. But bless Foo Fighter Dave who reached in, extracted the fly, and chugged down the remaining Yacht Juice (or whatever that beer was). Well done!
So we all finished our drinks, and The Stoutmeister and I inquired about getting a live tour. So Bartender Dave (not to be confused with Foo Fighter Dave), gave us an informative and interesting tour of the brewing area.
So ended a long beer trek through New Jersey, ending with a successful review of Icarus Brewing. I can’t wait to come back with the rest of the Beer Posse in tow!
Beers on Tap:
- My Little Friend – American Coffee Stout (ABV: 5.4%, IBU: 39)
- Firecracker Shandy – Shandy (ABV: 3%, IBU: 15)
- Headstone – New England IPA (ABV: 8.1%, IBU: 18)
- Friends with Beanefits – Dark City Collaboration, Coffee Amber Ale (ABV: 5.6%, IBU: 28)
- Pine Devil – Saison (ABV: 5.9%, IBU: 21)
- Yukon Cornelius – Coffee Porter (ABV: 4.7%, IBU: 33)
- On The Job – American Pale Ale (ABV: 4.7%, IBU: 20)
- 47 Bells – Belgian Pale Ale (ABV: 6.6%, IBU: 28)
- DDH Waikikamukau – North East Imperial IPA (ABV: 8.1%, IBU: 2)
- Panic Pale Ale – American Pale Ale (ABV: 5.9%, IBU: 29)
- Yacht Juice – North East IPA (ABV: 8%, IBU: 18)
- DDH Not a Schooner – Brux New England IPA (ABV: 8.5%, IBU: 19)
- Interwined Souls – Imperial IPA (ABV: 8.5%, IBU: 17)
- Power Juicer – New England IPA (ABV: 7.5%, IBU: 16)
Favorite beers of the day:
- The Stoutmeister – Yacht Juice
- Pretzel – DDH Not a Schooner
Additional Posse Comments:
- The Stoutmeister – Their IPA’s taste good and are smooth.
- Pretzel – Each flight included a complimentary Icarus soda. Very nice!
Overall Pretzel score (8.5 out of 10):
Final Scorecard (click to open): IcarusBrewing