Glassboro Craft Beer Festival Town Square, 1 High Street W Glassboro, NJ 08028
Event Date: 09/29/19
Reported by: Pretzel
This won’t be our normal full review for the Glassboro Craft Beer Fest, since we already did a full review each of the last 2 years. If you want to check out these other reviews, the links are under the websites section below.
We had a good contingent of Beer Posse members heading over to the Town Square in Glassboro for the Glassboro Craft Beer Festival. In attendance were Pretzel, The Stoutmeister, B3, The Rabbit, The Good Neighbor, The Queen of Funk, and our trusted Designated Driver (DD) Princess. You couldn’t have picked a more beautiful day! Sunny and a little overcast and a comfortable temperature! We staked out an area near the picnic tables to set up camp. There were plenty of picnic tables with umbrella’s (good for shade, since the sun was pretty bright), a plethora of colorful Adirondack chairs, and plenty of brewers, food trucks, and vendors. Princess found a comfortable chair, and proceeded to read. Pretzel passed out pretzel necklaces (of course) and new for this year – bubble guns (FUN!) to all the Beer Posse, and we each set out armed with the festival beer list.
It was nice to see several friendly faces from my favorite breweries – Heather (Eight & Sand) and Tim from Two Roads. The Stoutmeister and I tracked down the Palaweno Beer tent, and I have been trying to get information on this new brewery since they appeared on my radar, especially since their address is a PO box in North Jersey, and I couldn’t ascertain if they were and actual brewery or a production-only facility. The Palaweno Brewery is actually based in the Philippines, and their website makes no mention of a Jersey site. So I dragged The Stoutmeister over to talk to the Palaweno reps, after all, The Stoutmeister is Filipino, and I might need him to translate Tagalog for me. For those of you not in the loop, Tagalog is the official language of the Philippines. Since my in-laws are all Filipino, I did try to learn a little Tagalog, but all I managed to learn was “I have to go to the bathroom”. Hey, that’s a necessary and useful phrase to know in any language. Much to my chagrin, the reps are all local guys, but Russ did fill us in on Palaweno’s business model for Jersey. The beer is actually brewed in the Philippines, and shipped here. Then the local brewers infuse various flavors – fruits, herbs, etc to come up with a unique blend. Russ said to me “We have an excellent Filipino Wit!” To which I replied, “Really??? I have an excellent Filipino half-wit” as I patted The Stoutmeister on the shoulder.
The Stoutmeister wore his full German lederhosen outfit, and I must say he looked quite dapper. We met Stacy who was decked out in a blowup German Barmaid costume. Check out the picture gallery, as I posted a picture of the two of them. After the picture, she referred to The Stoutmeister as “her future husband”. Hmmm. I wonder how much alimony I can expect!
I also had some good conversations with several of the brewery reps and of course the gang from South Jersey Beer Scene who were running around recording for their podcast, which by the way, I highly recommend. The main topic of the day was the restrictions put on craft breweries by the Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC). You can read the specifics of the restrictions on my Facebook page, where I’ve included many links to good articles describing the unreasonable ruling. I won’t go into details, since several days later, the restrictions were rescinded due to the backlash of outraged beer-lovers in conjunction with the petition of over 30,000 signatures (one of which was mine, and I’m sure that my 1 vote tipped the outcome in our favor!). It was great to see such a cohesive response by our breweries, customers, and vendors.
Meanwhile, the Queen of Funk was agonizing over a selection of NJ t-shirts, The Rabbit and The Good Neighbor were running around feverishly trying to taste every beer that was available. Princess kept reading and listening to the band Grass in Gravel turn out some good tunes. But alas, as always, the day had to come to an end, and the tired Beer Posse headed over to B3 and Princess’s house for an evening bonfire, with the exception of Pretzel and The Stoutmeister who had to go home to take their post-beer fest 14-hour nap. See you next year Glassboro.
Favorite Beers of the Day:
- The Stoutmeister – Death of the Fox Brewing: Scrumptious Pumpkous; Eight & Sand: New Potato Caboose (Sweet Potato Ale)
- Pretzel – Evil Genius: Raspberry Shandy; Two Roads Ok2berfest
- The Rabbit – Honor Brewing: Maple Porter; DNA Batch 7: Pickle Gose
- The Good Neighbor – Eight & Sand: New Potato Caboose
- The Queen of Funk – Bonesaw Brewing: Vienna Lager
- B3 – The Next One!
Websites for Beerfest and favorite beers:
- 2018 Glassboro Craft Beer Festival: https://glassborobeerfest.com/
- 2017 Glassboro Craft Beer Festival Review: http://pretzelsbeerblog.com/glassboro-beer-festival-2017-glassboro-nj/
- 2016 Glassboro Craft Beer Festival Review: http://pretzelsbeerblog.com/glassboro-craft-beer-festival-glassboro/
- South Jersey Beer Scene – http://sjbeerscene.com/
- Death of The Fox Brewing Co (Clarksboro, NJ): https://www.deathofthefoxbrewing.com/
- Eight & Sand Brewing (Woodbury, NJ): https://www.eightandsandbeer.com/
- Bonesaw Brewing Co (Glassboro, NJ): https://bonesawbrewing.com/index.html
- Honor Brewing Company (Chantilly, VA): https://bonesawbrewing.com/index.html
- Evil Genius Beer Company (Philadelphia, PA) : http://evilgeniusbeer.com/
- Two Roads Brewing Co (Stratford, CT): https://tworoadsbrewing.com/